03 May 2010

Less than a week

Sorry for the long delay between posts. I've been busy tying up my volunteer job in DC, saying goodbyes to friends and family, and making my way back to Louisiana. The past two months have been so great. But, now that I've said most of my goodbyes, bought everything on my packing list, visited the dentist, and even ordered Mother and Father's Day gifts for my parents, I'm starting to get anxious.
It's an odd feeling--I have 6 days to spend doing whatever else I need to do before I leave the country for 27 months and I'm a bit at a loss. I'll read a few chapters of Bulgarian history, then decide to put all my clothes in separate ziploc bags, stop part way through and make language flashcards, then give up and sit by the pool. I keep imagining what it will be like, but I have no idea. I know I'll be spending the first few months living with a Bulgarian family in a town near Vratsa (in the northwest of the country) for technical and language training, but I won't find out until late June/early July what I'll really be doing or where I'll be living for the next two years.
Packing two 50 lb suitcases for two years without really knowing what to expect is a challenge. Do I need a suit or hiking boots? Are waterproof pants really necessary or would another pair of flats for work be more appropriate? I have yet to get down to the acceptable weight for either bag on my trial packs, but I'm not too concerned...I have time to sort out a few pairs of shoes and remove some books.

No comments:

Post a Comment