25 May 2010

18 May 2010

Klisurski Monastery and Varshets Went to the Klisurski Monastery with my host parents and C. It was very nice and peaceful. A bit of history from Wikipedia: The Klisurski Monastery was founded in the 1240 during the Second Bulgarian Empire. It was repeatedly destroyed during the Ottoman rule. In 1862 it was burned down and the monks and pilgrims were killed by a Turkish pasha and his soldiers. The monastery was reconstructed in 1869 and the church was officially consecrated in 1891. On the way back to K-village, we stopped by Varshets to fill up water jugs from the hot mineral springs. The water smelled sort of sulphury, but supposedly, once it sets for a day or so, the smell goes away and it's excellent drinking water. The town is known as a spa town in western Bulgaria, but seemed pretty empty when we were there. I think I am the luckiest volunteer with my host family. They are sooo patient and kind and spend hours going over basic words with me until I understand. I feel like I've already learned sooo much. They also gave me an awesome room and have a great house and yard.

No comments:

Post a Comment