25 May 2010

Lamb Liver and Celebrations!

Oh my, so came back from my run today to see an skinned lamb hanging in garden with its head and feet next to the sink. After my shower, I ate its liver. I don't think I've ever had any liver, especially not super fresh lamb liver....it was actually pretty good. Yikes! The reason the lamb was killed was in preparation for May 24th celebrations. We are having a ton of guests and have enough food to feed pretty much the entire town. May 24th is a national holiday in Bulgaria to mark Saints Cyril and Methodius Day, creators of the Cyrillic alphabet, and to celebrate Bulgarian literature and culture. It is also an important day for my village because it is the day of their 'sabor,' which, according to my understanding, is like a village wide family reunion. Children that were born in the village and then moved on, return with their families to eat and drink all day. It's fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment