01 October 2010

Teaching is very difficult

I spent all Tuesday setting up a classroom and preparing for the first Beginner’s English lesson. Based on the information meeting last week, I expected 15 or so people to attend this class and printed the lesson and worksheets accordingly. Well….nearly 30 people showed up, half of whom I’d never met before, ages ranged from 8 to late 60s, abilities from zero to intermediate-low, there weren’t enough chairs, and I had no idea who knew what. People were obviously frustrated. I couldn’t get the flip chart to cooperate and the pre-written dialogues were too small for many to see. All in all, it was a very challenging 90 minutes. But, as an experience entirely out of my comfort zone, struggling to control the class and to impart at least some knowledge, it was interesting and unlike other activity. Plus, I know next week can only be better.

The Advanced English class was a completely different teaching experience. The class size was more manageable, around 20, and included mostly familiar faces. We played ‘Simon Says,’ filled in missing words while listening to ‘Let it be,’ and read a short history of Fanta.

Although teaching English isn’t my primary assignment, I’m happy to have started these classes. It’s a nice way to get to know more people and to establish a regular activity in the community.

No comments:

Post a Comment