13 August 2010

Integration Tipping Point

Something clicked this week with integrating in my community. So far, everyone has been very warm and welcoming, but I was still spending a lot of time alone in my apartment or simply exchanging pleasantries on the street. I hadn’t been able to make the jump from acquaintance to friend. However, this week, the process changed and it seemed everything began at once. Tuesday was the tipping point.

I didn’t realize it, but my counterpart’s brother installs internet service so it was super easy to get it in my apartment. While on a coffee break with my counterpart and a colleague, my colleague mentioned I must be bored-no TV, internet, etc. My counterpart called her brother, we met him at the apartment, and, after a few hours of him rigging a cord through my balcony window and directing expletives towards my Mac (they're uncommon in Bulgaria), I had internet in my apartment! Having internet alone is fantastic, even if I’ve hardly had a chance to use it, but what was also nice was that during the several hours it took him to figure out the installation, my counterpart and I chatted and shared photos-excellent bonding time in a more relaxed environment.

On our walk back to the Obshtina, we ran into Isabel, a Bulgarian teacher at the school in Chiprovtsi, who also speaks English. We went to the café and now I have an amazing language tutor. My first lesson was yesterday and was exactly what I wanted. It was held in her house and had the perfect balance of grammar, speaking, and reading comprehension. I’ll have lessons everyday until mid-September when school begins. Although we’ll scale down the frequency of my classes when she returns to work, I’ll start helping once a week or so with the English classes at the school. It will be a great way to stay in touch with the kids I met at the camp, maintain my relationship with her, and add an peer exchange component to between the school here and the 6th grade class I correspond with in America.

After work I went to dinner at the house of a retired couple in town. The husband’s name is Stalin, like Josef. Their grown son’s name is Elvis and he sings opera in America. They are an amazing family. I will have dinner there weekly and help her with her pronunciation. She can read English, but wants to be able to sing psalms. No worries, I won't pretend to be able to assist with the singing component.

I had just returned to my apartment when there was knocking at my door. Outside was a group of 6th and 7th graders from town wanting to go to the café. I knew some of the girls from the camp and I’d chatted with them and their friends around town. We went to the café, drank Fanta, and exchanged Skype details. They are so funny and message me all the time. I’m really excited to help them with their English and work with them in the future. I feel a bit overwhelmed with na gosti and picnic invites, but couldn't be happier.

No comments:

Post a Comment