29 August 2010

Blagoevgrad

I know it’s been a while since my last update. I’ve been crazy busy with Peace Corps admin, friends, and Bulgarian family. It’s wonderful, but also exhausting! Last week I was in Blagoevgrad for a Peace Corps training session on EU grants and teaching English. The topics were really interesting and it was fantastic to see all of my fellow trainees after our first month at site. Although some programs might be useful, the EU, with all its bureaucracy, committees, and oversight bodies seems a bit more like an employment agency than an effective experiment in supranational governance…

Blagoevgrad is in southwest Bulgaria, near Macedonia. It takes about 5 ½ hours, by bus for me to get there from Chiprovtsi…if everything is on schedule and I don’t have a layover in Sofia. Blagoevgrad has been inhabited since the Thracians settled there in 300BC. It is currently home to the American University and has lots of shopping, restaurants, AND a movie theater.

Center Square in Blagoevgrad

Although we hardly had any time to wander around, a herd of us did taxi to town for a movie one night. We saw Inception, which was good, but the experience itself was even better. I’ve been craving movie theater popcorn and a fountain soda for a while…they didn’t have fountain sodas, but they did have beer and fresh popcorn. I couldn’t have asked for more. Sitting in the dark theater surrounded by fellow volunteers, eating buttery popcorn, drinking coke light through a straw while pretending it was a fountain soda, and watching Leonardo DiCaprio on a giant screen made for a perfect evening.

One day, a few of us skipped lunch at the hotel where the conference was held (several kilometers away from town) to have dyuners at a Dyuner King near the city center. Dyuners are unlike anything else. They sort of begin as a gyro, with either chicken or lamb inside of a large pita-ish bread wrap, then I you choose salads to add, I like it with beans and cucumber salad. There are also cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, French fries, ketchup and maybe a few other sauces inside the bread. There’s a lot going on in a dyuner, but they are great and keep you full for a long time. The other volunteers seem to be dyuner experts, it was a new experience for me. They are common in the larger towns in Bulgaria, but never really appealed to me. This is a picture I found online. Mine was a lot fuller and messier looking, but it still conveys the dyuner concept.

Add Image

No comments:

Post a Comment