30 April 2012

Last day

Leaving Chiprovtsi was difficult. The morning of my departure was beautiful. I woke up early and said sent off Palma and Ivan (the seventh grader who won the local spelling) on the early bus to go to Vratsa for the regional bee. Then I walked through town for coffee with Elsa and Stalin before the 10 am bus. The center filling with activity for sabor (town reunion). I returned to my apartment to double-check that nothing was plugged in or turned on (like the refridgerator and boiler), and was met by Jordanka, Ivo, Gogo, and Velin ready to help with my luggage.

I’m not sure how (…carpets, knit socks, national costume…), but despite giving away and discarding most items I arrived with, I’ve accumulated a lot. We carried the bags to Gogo’s car and drove the 100 meters to where the bus usually stops. Dimi and Tsetska  and Jordanka’s family came to say goodbye. My bags were loaded and I departed. There were tears. When the bus drove through Zhelezna, the school director was there to say goodbye and waved. More tears. 

No comments:

Post a Comment