15 July 2010

PST Activities: Monastery Visit, Hiking, Cow Milking

On the Friday after our community project, we had another conference in Vratsa. This one was great because a lot of the current Bulgaria volunteers presented on different projects they’re working on, discussed challenges they’ve faced, and answered questions. After Hub we ate dinner at an Italian restaurant. I had a salad made with fake crabmeat, tomatoes, yogurt dressing, and eggs. I never encountered anything similar when I was in Italy, but it was really good and I have a new found appreciation for fake crab.

Sunday was a full day of homestay-type activities. I woke up late and had breakfast with my family. My host mom made crepes (palachinki) with nutella. They are the perfect start to a day. Then she took me, my two little host brothers, and another volunteer from my training group, to the Klisurski Monastery. After candle lighting and walking around we went to Varshets to fill 10 giant jugs with spring water and have lunch at a café. When we returned, the other volunteer and I went for a 10 mile hike in the fields sunflower and wheat fields that surround our village. After being chased by shepherd dogs and running out of water, we stopped off in a nearby village for water, banitsa (a pastry made from yogurt, filo dough, cheese, and eggs), and pears from a Baba that saw us passing by. After dinner, I milked a cow.

No comments:

Post a Comment