31 July 2010

First week of work

My first week of work was great! Even though most of what I did was working on personal logistics—getting my alien resident ID card, borrowing the Obshtina’s vacuum cleaner, etc.—I was able to help with planning for the 3 day sleep away camp we’re having next week and participate in some work parties. So far, 37 children, aged 7-12, have signed up for our camp. We wrote the food budget, planned activities, found tents (we’re borrowing 10 person ones from the Army), and took a day trip to Montana for supplies this week. I will be leading introduction activities and sports games at the camp. I’m nervous. I hope my language is good enough to communicate. It will be an intense couple of days

My counterpart, who is my guide, mentor, and primary working partner at my assignment, is great. She's smart and fun and has the two cutest kids. I share a large office with her and two others in the Obshtina. The Obshtina has 40 something employees. Of those I've met, everyone has been super nice and patient. My counterpart's birthday was on Tuesday and she brought in sweets and soda to treat everyone. There was also a retirement party on Monday. The retirement party lasted all afternoon and included beer, rakia, and wild boar. It was my first time eating wild boar...and I liked it. I did think this was an interesting fact: in Bulgaria, the retirement age for men differs from that of women. Anyways, I love celebrations in Bulgaria. Since name days and birthdays are celebrated by treating those around you, and everyone has both, you have a pretty good chance of encountering someone who will give you chocolate.

Every Thursday night the cultural center in town has horo dancing. Horo is the traditional form of dance in Bulgaria. Everyone holds hands and follows the leader in synchronized steps to the beat of the music. I think I included some pictures in an earlier post where we danced the horo in Neysa’s backyard for her baba’s birthday party. I attended the horo dancing this past week and had a fantastic time. There were about 30 women and girls, from around ten years old up to babas, and two musicians, one on keyboards, one on the horn. The horos started off easy, steps I was familiar with thanks to parties in Kravoder and evenings with the family. But, about half an hour into the 90 minutes of dancing, it got tough. Like REALLY difficult, with kicks and shuffles and hops. I tried my best and laughed a lot, as did everyone else, and had a really good time. Though I’m confident no one was impressed by my dancing skills, I’m pretty sure they were pleased I knew some horo and wanted to learn more. It was a lot of fun and I plan to make a habit of it over then next two years.

No comments:

Post a Comment