23 January 2012

Cold and Snowy


...describe my second January in Bulgaria. Last week was rough: my hot water boiler broke and I had to cancel several planned activities due to heating issues in the school. BUT, now I have a new hot water boiler and rescheduled the activities. Besides continuation of the regular activities, I’ve added a few new things.

With Palma, we’ve begun prepping kids for participation in the National Spelling Bee. Last year was its first year and it was a huge success. Each school is given a bunch of materials (it’s an English spelling bee, Bulgarian is phonetic) and holds its own Bee. The winner goes to a regional Bee and then to a national Bee in Sofia. The whole thing was organized by a Peace Corps volunteer and her host organization last year; she extended an extra year to help institutionalize the program. Almost 200 schools will be participating in this year’s Bee from across the country. We had our first practice a week and a half ago and about 15 kids turned out. On Monday, I’ll show Akeelah and the Bee, a movie about spelling bees, with Bulgarian subtitles and we’ll start going through the practice list. Participants that make it to nationals get to stay in Sofia (with their teachers/PCVs) for two nights and receive a bunch of prizes.

This past Tuesday was the first conversational session for the advanced English adults. We held it after the beginner English group finished, from 7-8:30-ish. Quite a few people turned out for it, though there were more listeners than participators. The Zambian/British retiree who lives in Chiprovtsi also came. I haven’t seen him in over a year, but it was super helpful to have another native speaker for the students to listen to. Next week we’ll meet in a local guesthouse and practice restaurant conversations.

I’ve mostly finished law school applications! Huge weight off my shoulders—I feel like they were hanging over my head forever. I still have a few minor adjustments to make on the final one, but it’s mostly complete. Now I just have to figure out how to pay for it…

My kindle has almost been returned! A fellow PCV picked it up at Sofia Airport and left it for me at PC Headquarters. I haven’t had it since I left it on a chair in the Istanbul airport during the layover from Cairo and didn’t expect to see it again. It doesn’t have my name or any identifying information on it. My mom emailed the airport the next day. But it was New Year’s Eve and then a weekend. A week later my mom receives an email informing her the kindle was found and is waiting at the Sofia airport for pickup! I can’t believe someone turned it in or that the airlines/airport people coordinated to send it on to our destination. So happy! And impressed—dealing with lost and found during holiday travel time, sending it free of charge, and giving a personal contact number to arrange pickup. Bravo to Turkish Airlines! Love them: Turkish Airlines always has food and drinks, even on short flights. And shows a cute video of little kids fastening their seatbelts, putting on oxygen masks, and turning off electronics instead of the stewardess demonstration that no one really pays attention to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment