14 September 2011

Stamboliski Dam Camp



I travelled this past week to Stamboliski Reservoir for a summer camp organized by two PCVs from towns along the Danube. The 20 or so kids that participated camp were older (middle-high school aged), and had lots of responsibilities. I was so impressed: they cooked, cleaned, and cut firewood. 
The location was perfect. Our tents were set up right by the reservoir and I was got to go swimming for the first time in over a year! It felt amazing to be in the water. The kids also boated and fished. One day we hiked to the top of the cliffs overlooking the reservoir. The views were spectacular.
It was a longer camp and there were quite a few learning sessions for participants including ones on compasses and orienteering, knot-tying, starting fires and safety, and peer pressure. It was great to see how some of the topics were taught so I can share them with the kids in Chiprovtsi. I also learned to juggle. Seriously. With three tennis balls in the air at the same time. I’m up to 6 throws without dropping. So, if the whole law/grad school plan doesn’t work out… 

No comments:

Post a Comment