03 July 2011

Fireworks for the Fourth on the Second


To celebrate, I met some other volunteers for the AmCham Independence Day Party on July 2nd. Held at the American University in Sofia, ticket price included drinks, concert admission, and random free things, like kites. There was tons of food, way more than anyone could ever eat in a day. For example: from McDonald’s each person received a muffin, a coffee, a cheeseburger, fries, chicken nuggets, and a salad—and that was only one vendor. Jack Daniel’s Whiskey sponsored a BBQ contest emceed by a Bulgarian TV chef, Uti Bachavrov, who let us try amazing grilled eggplant pizzas afterwards. There were also kiddie rides, raffles, Ronald McDonald, and fireworks.
Most of the attendees were Bulgarian families. I hope they don’t think Americans typically eat that much McDonald’s on holidays! There were only 4 of us PCVs who attended, but I’m glad I went. I was surprised by the nostalgia and patriotism I felt during the fireworks. I’ve never been that into fireworks or 4th of July celebrations, but after more than a year without being in the states, it was great way to celebrate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment