06 June 2011

Pilates/Пилатес

Today I held my first pilates class for women and girls. I was super worried, of course, but it turned out wonderfully. I knew pretty much everyone that showed up and, although I'd practiced all the verbs ahead of time (I don't use "stretch, tighten, еtc. in their plural imperative forms real often...), I was also able to demonstrate and say "okay, like this." This is sooo much easier than explaining grammar or trying to come up with answers to questions like: how do you pronounce "the?" Does it rhyme with 'tea' or 'duh?'

Ever since I arrived at site, having a gym or fitness center for women has been brought up in conversations. Although this isn't quite the same as that, the school has a multi purpose room that is the perfect size for classes, and pilates, yoga, and kickboxing are pretty easy for me to teach. I've been wanting to have a women's fitness group for a while, but hadn't felt comfortable enough to start one until now. I'm glad I did, after class they asked about when we could meet again! We decided, from now on, Chiprovtsi will have a ladies fitness group every Monday and Thursday evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment