19 April 2011

Church bells


The church bells of Vaznesenie Hristov Orthodox Church can be heard all over town and act as a sort of announcement system when someone dies. People hear them and then ask around to find out who has died. This week, they’ve been ringing a lot. Demographically, there are going to be quite a few funerals in Chiprovtsi, but we’ve had one every day this week, with two on Wednesday.

When I was at Yulka’s on Saturday for Lazarovden, I sat wither her mother for quite some time and listened to her describe her Lazarovden memories from childhood. She didn’t make complete sense all of the time, but also didn’t seem of particularly bad health. She told me how excited she had been for the holiday and was so happy the weather was nice enough for her to sit outside and watch. On Tuesday, I attended her funeral. It was such a surprise. My condolences to her family and friends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment