03 March 2011

Bulgarian Liberation Day/Field Trip to a Farm


Today was an official holiday and the municipality was closed. Bulgarian Liberation Day celebrates the end of the Turkish Yoke in Bulgaria. The Treaty between Russia and the Ottoman Empire at the end of the Russo-Turkish War 1877-8 established an autonomous Bulgaria for the first time in 500 years.  Different towns and regions celebrate the holiday differently. In Chiprovtsi, it was snowing like crazy and I think any celebrations were somewhat dampened by the blizzard. I left town early-ish to meet up with a friend who is helping me acquire a compost bin in Montana.

He manages a large farm in northern Bulgaria and thought he might be able to find some old wooden pallets we could use. Looking around for the wood ended up a bit like a field trip to a farm for me. It was awesome.  The machines were all inside a giant hangar-type building to protect them from the winter weather. He explained all their uses and I even sat in a few tractors.

I’ve been starting to get a bit concerned about the big composting project kickoff I’ve scheduled for the 22nd. I registered it as one of the 20 days of service, celebrating 20 years of Peace Corps in Bulgaria, but following a brief flurry of activity immediately after registration last week, every day since then seems to have been a holiday or something else that keeps work from happening. 

No comments:

Post a Comment