20 November 2010

Hablo Inglés

Teaching English has become a big part of my day-to-day life. I’m visiting the kindergarten twice a week (an activity I delayed starting, but now is becoming a favorite) to sing songs and dance. We’ve mastered ‘Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes’ and ‘Hokey Pokey.’ I tried a Christmas song and ‘Old MacDonald’s,’ but without a dance to go along, they quickly grew bored. I’m planning on splitting up the adults and children of one of the two 90 minute evening classes I teach, and began working with the English teacher at the school on a pen pal exchange with an American school.

I also do a lot of random English stuff like helping high school kids edit applications to summer language programs and translating basic phrases for the tourist information center. I never thought of teaching as something I’d enjoy, but I do. It’s probably easy to love teaching when all of your students want to learn, aren’t assigned homework, and don’t get tested. But still, it’s incredibly rewarding to watch a person go from not understanding something at all to knowing it and being confident in that knowledge. I love it when I run into a student from one of my classes and he or she uses something we’ve studied to greet me.

No comments:

Post a Comment